- Serves as a focal point and coordinator for Swaziland’s external trade relations
- Initiates and implements Swaziland’s external trade-related strategies
- Serves at an appropriate level as a trade negotiator for Swaziland’s bilateral, regional and multilateral trade relations
- Provides trade facilitation support to traders both exporting and importing in Swaziland
- Provides information relating to external trade to the private sector, government, civil society as well as individuals undertaking research
- Carries out research and analytical work on external trade policy related issues
- Advocates for the market access opportunities for goods and services originating from Swaziland
- Provides import-related support to charity organisations and non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and other similar entities in the clearance duty-free, of donated goods into the country which are not for resale.